Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Courage Poem

I was young,
I sat back,
I watched as my mother staggered around,

Tossing beer bottles as if they were toys,

Tears raced down my face,

Courage is watching my mom get drunk knowing there's nothing I could do.
 
I walked to school every morning,
I pretended that nothing was wrong,
Everyday,
I would get teased,
But today,
I chose my words,
I spoke them to protect me,
Courage is standing up for myself against the girl who teased me.
 
I entered my house once again at the end of the day,
I saw my siblings,
I cooked for them,
I took care of them,
Courage is being the mother figure for my siblings.
 
One day,
I met this boy,
I fell head over heels for him,
I had my doubts,
In the end I didn’t let that stop me,
Courage is letting myself fall in love knowing I could get hurt.
 
We took the plunge,
We were happy,
Our love was real,
Courage is letting myself finally be happy.
 
A few years later,
He fell ill,
I sat back as the darkness overtook him,
There was nothing I could do,
I loved him,
Courage is watching as my husband dies.
 
I told my kids the news,
Of course they didn’t fully understand,
I took care of them,
The best I could,
With no father,
Courage is raising kids without their father.
 
I wanted a way out of all this stress,
I wanted to break so many times,
But I didn’t,
I held it together,
I will never be like my mother,
Courage is not falling into my mother’s alcohol ways.
 
I bought my kids everything they needed,
I taught them all of life’s lessons,
I provided the best I could,
I pushed myself everyday,
Not for me,
For them
Courage is trying to make a better life for my kids.
 
So when my eldest daughter,
Finally met the man of her dreams,
I was happy,
I helped plan the wedding,
I stood and waited,
Courage is watching my daughter walk down the aisle.
 
I see my own mother with tears streaming down her face,
Across the reception floor,
I took a deep breathe,
I walked over,
I embraced her,
Courage is forgiving my mother.
 
Without courage I would be nothing.

Courage is surrounding all of us. We can either choose to grab a hold of it and never let go or turn our backs away from it.


I chose courage. I am courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment