Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Golden Memories

Everyone has something that belongs to them that has sentimental value. For me that is a rock. I know what you're thinking a rock? How much value can a rock really have? Yeah, to some it might just be a rock. But to me it's much more.

During the summer of 2014, I went to summer camp. It was by far one of the best decisions of my life. It really opened my eyes up to how many different people there were in the world. There were so many people around the world that came to this camp to spend their precious summer days. I met a bunch of wonderful people.

Two French speaking girls that came all the way from a small country near Paris, France really caught my eye. We were all in the same Arts & Crafts activity. Since I learned some French at school. I felt like I had a connection to them. I just thought that it was cool that they came all the way from France to the United States to attend this camp. They didn't speak much English but I was able to communicate with them a little bit. Even know they had little knowledge of the English language their facial expressions were more expressive and they smiled a lot!

Also, I met many people from different states and even a few are from towns that are a few minutes' drive away from my hometown. Needless to say I had a wonderful time at camp. When camp was drawing to a close. One of the last few days of camp in our Arts & Crafts period block; we went outside and walked around to search for rocks to paint.

I was walking around and it took awhile but I finally discover a rock that caught my eye. I took it back to the Arts & Craft's cabin and rinsed all the dirt off it. First, I decided to spray paint it gold little did I know that it would soon turn into a lasting memento of my time there. We set our rocks out on the porch to dry. The next day we went back to get them. I wanted to paint '2014' on it so I'll never forget the time I spent at camp.

This rock to me symbolizes all the great things that happened to me during the summer of 2014. I met so many amazing people. I've done things that I never thought I would do. Whether the opportunities didn't arise or I never had the guts to try them. But at camp you can expand your horizons. You can do anything you want without the fear of being judged. Nobody dresses up or puts make up on because it's camp! Who cares what you look like! There's nobody to impress.

I danced in front of a huge audience, sang with my music group at dinnertime, and I even learned how to swim! We had movie nights, spa days, a secret Santa exchange, and scavenger hunts. There was a social where the boy camp and girl camp mixed. It was a good time. Even the nonchalant days where we hung out with our cabin mates during rest hour and cabin time weren't wasted. We loved playing card games like UNO while betting our starbursts, having deep conversations about life, and drawing tattoos on each other in the middle of the night.

Here are just a few snippets of my time at camp:

We all choreographed our own dance to 'The Way' by Ariana Grande. It was a great dance and we were so proud of ourselves for coming up with it.



There's never a dull moment in the cabins.


On the last day of camp, we had an award banquet where we received special awards for the things we did at camp.

There's so many more things that I experienced that just changed my whole perspective. I learned how friendships can grow and develop in such a short time. I learned that you can't always be 100% all the time. But the best thing that I can take from this experience was that you should surround yourself with things that make you happy. Camp made me happy because I got a chance to have my summer the way I wanted with the people I wanted. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

These memories will last me a lifetime. The golden rock will forever remind me of these golden memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment