Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

I am the Messenger: My Thoughts


Thus far into the book, I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, I can feel a personal connection with Milla. In the story, the author was describing Milla as a lonely, old lady who took companionship with her kitchen appliances. “And loneliness. She ate that, too” (Zusak 47). It kind of reminds of Bertram from Jessie. Bertram named his kitchen appliances. They were his friends. Furthermore, She’s been alone ever since her beloved husband died. I can definitely say from experience that I know what it's like to have a loved one pass away. It's almost as if a part of me is missing. A piece of me that won't ever come back. Milla most likely feels the same way about her husband, but when Ed came and acted like he was Milla's husband, Jimmy. You could tell that she was happy to have a companion again. I think what Ed did was really nice and kind. He cared for Milla when nobody else did. He saw how lonely she was and decided to do something about it. Not many people his age would even think of doing something so selfless. It makes me sad to know that Milla had to go 60 years without anyone to talk to or keep her company. “James Johnson; 1917-1942, Died serving his country, Beloved to Milla Johnson” (Zusak 60). Especially, without her true love. It shines a light on real life events and how situations like Milla's exist in the real world, too.


In my opinion, I feel as though Ed enjoys spending time with Milla. “It’s was like she held a string and pulled it in just slightly to open me up” (Zusak 48). It makes him happy knowing that Milla is enjoying their time together. He knows what it's like to be just as lonely as her. Even know he's surrounded by his friends: Ritchie, Marv, and Audrey. He still feels lonely and like his life had no meaning. But being able to put a smile on Milla's face made everything worth wild.

What I'm really afraid of is that somewhere along the way in the book Milla will die and then Ed will feel a piece of him lost. I hope that doesn't happen because I never like bad things to happen in books. Milla has already become a big part of Ed’s life. She filled a hole in his heart. He gave her a companion, but in a way she also gave him a companion. I always love a happy ending. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be really hard for Ed to keep this sherod going. He might soon start to feel the pressure of pretending to be Jimmy too unbearable. Ed did say he liked acting like Jimmy. “I like being Jimmy” (Zusak 55). But how long can that really last? Will he get tired of it? I can’t wait to find out the answers to my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment